Re: Am curious

> Thompson Godfrey wrote:

>                        I have been looking at the Ducati ST4, the BMW
> K1200, and the Triumph Sprint.  I was wondering if anyone can compare
> these bikes on reliability, comfort over a long haul, and performance.

Thompson,

I had an opportunity to ride an ST4 approximately 50 miles recently.
I can't comment on reliability but two things struck me immediately
after getting off my Sprint ST and onto the Ducati.  First was the
peaky motor.  I also own an older 2 valve Ducati and was expecting much
more midrange punch from the ST4.  It did not seem to make good power
at all until around 7K revs.  My Sprint would absolutly run away from
it during 6th gear throttle roll-ons.  Second impression was that the
suspension is much more firm than the ST and is biased more to sport
end of the sport-touring class.  I am sure that 500-600 miles days on
the Ducati would be much more difficult than on the Sprint ST unless
you are on perfectly smooth roads.  Even if the bikes were priced the
same, the Sprint would come out ahead in my biased view.

- -Gary

End of st-digest V2000 #68