Re: Am curious

- --============_-1260356519==_ma============

Can't compare the Sprint ST to the ST-4 but I put almost 20k miles on
a K1200RS so I'll try to give you some info there. The BIG K12RS is a
wonderfully smooth bike. Almost too smooth, in fact the bike feels
slow until close to triple digit speeds, and it is almost boring to
ride, it is that smooth. It is very stable and ulmost unflappable in
it's stability. The motor is tremdous gobs of torque from 3500rpm on
up.. thing pulls like an electric frieght train. Brakes are awesome
big 320mm disc's, w 4 piston Brembos and the wonderfull ABS II  ( the
only thing I really miss not having on the Sprint)  Fit and finsih
are of course typical BMW that's to say damn near flawless. Warrenty
is one year longer than Triumph's but limited to 36K miles, and BMW
does not through their dealers offer an extended warrenty. Suspension
is great the Telelever front really works and there is no shaft
jacking with the Paralever rear . Fuel injection works great, almost
as nice as the ST's. All in all a fabulous bike. THE FAULTS: It is
really F__KING over priced! I believe it is now up to over $16,000.
that's plus bags and mounts $800+  heated grips $250.+ and so on. The
big K is BIG really BIG, pig big over 625lbs wet with out bags etc.
Long wheel base, the big K is a bit of a handful it is NOT a sport
bike. It really isn't a touring bike either. I called it a
between..er  not comfortable enough for a long tour, not light or
nimble enough as a sport bike. The ergonmics though is it's real
problem. It is very wide so when one sits on it your legs are splayed
rather wide, so at least for me my hips got sore. The reach to the
bars is far. BMW has tried to address  this for year 2000 models with
farther set back bars but they are also wide. The width needed for
leverage, this width would make my shoulders sore after a few hours
in the saddle. The whole package becomes a bit much.. big and fast,
smoothly boring to ride, with weird ergonomics. If you are 6' or
taller with long arms and short legs you may like it. I could never
really get comfortable on it. The Sprint on the other hand is a true
sport touring  bike that's all I'll say :-)) There have been several
magazine write up's the most recent was Sport Riders shootout between
the BMW R1100S, Honda VFR 800, Ducati ST-4, and The Sprint ST.. and
the winner.. you guessed it, the ST!
The bottom line is that YOU need to go ride them. They are all nice
bikes we here on this list of course are partial to the ST.. duh it
the ST list :-))  But Really GO RIDE THEM you will then know what YOU
like and won't have to rely on anyone's opinions!

Erik

> [...]

width needed for leverage, this width would make my shoulders sore
after a few hours in the saddle. The whole package becomes a bit much..
big and fast, smoothly boring to ride, with weird ergonomics. If you
are 6' or taller with long arms and short legs you may like it. I could
never really get comfortable on it. The Sprint on the other hand is a
true sport touring  bike that's all I'll say :-)) There have been
several magazine write up's the most recent was Sport Riders shootout
between the BMW R1100S, Honda VFR 800, Ducati ST-4, and The Sprint ST..
and the winner.. you guessed it, the ST!

The bottom line is that YOU need to go ride them. They are all nice
bikes we here on this list of course are partial to the ST.. duh it the
ST list :-))  But Really GO RIDE THEM you will then know what YOU like
and won't have to rely on anyone's opinions!

<excerpt>Hello,

I have just started the research process for buying a new sport tourer.
 I was the proud owner of a 1985 Honda Magna V65--great bike--got me
across the country and up and down the coasts in comfort and never
lacked power.  Despite the Honda's reliability and output I am ready
for a change.  I have been looking at the Ducati ST4, the BMW K1200,
and the Triumph Sprint.  I was wondering if anyone can compare these
bikes on reliability, comfort over a long haul, and performance.

Thanks,

Thompson

</color>FreeShop.com

thomg@xxxxxxxxxxxx