High speed - was bad news

I typically hate to boast of high speed, especially since we do not have
the bike to take the checkered flag in this area, also because to
achieve a top speed on a bike simply takes a twist of the throttle and
tuck in behind the screen.  I prefer to hear when  people achieve great
track times around a technical road coarse.

That said, I have measured 137 on my Sigma on two occasions, both with
panniers on.  I did not look at the speedo, but believe the indicated
speed had to be above 150.  I was not trying to wring all I could get
out of her and think there is still a little room on top, especially
without the bags.  I have not been interested in seeing what the top
speed is, but now that I hear how close it is to speeds I have run,
perhaps I will try to see what her top end is one day, after my Sigma is
working again (see below).  FWIW, my dealer claims he has done 165 on
his sprint, but I believe that may be an optimistic reading of an
optimistic speedo.  I guess it feels pretty cool to think that you have
done 165 mph.

As I said above, my Sigma has not been working the last few weeks and I
am curious to know if anyone else has had a problem with the Sigma.
Mine is still reading out the time, thus it is not a battery problem.
It also occasionally reads the speed, but in a very erratic way and only
for short durations - yes the magnet is still there.  However, I am
beginning to wonder if the magnet has lost its magnetism.  Any ideas
would be appreciated, but I'll admit I have been too lazy to check for
other obvious factors, though I have removed the sigma from its cradle
and cleaned the contacts, also with no success.

..Richard White

Eric Sheley wrote:

> I have hit 140 actual (as measured on the Sigma mounted on the bike). At
> the time the speedo indicated about 156-158 range.

End of st-digest V2000 #71