Re: Scottoiler mounting location?

I mounted mine under the fairing tail, on the left side, just forward of the taillight, aft of the grabrail mounting holes.  There are wires nested in the area, but they can be cleaned up with a few zip-strips, and bundled out of this area toward the right side of the fairing.  I had to enlarge the hole which passes the left side indicator lamp wires slightly to run the feed tube.  Care was taken to ensure that there were no "loops" in the feed tube going higher than the reservoir.

To find vacuum, you must use the special "T" fitting, not normally supplied with the ScottOiler kit.  Vacuum is found by lifting or removing the fuel tank, and tapping into the corregated vacuum lines running between the throttle bodies (ScottOiler sends a good picture of this with the special "T" fitting, which runs around $10 US).  While the tank is off, I adjusted the throttle cables, since they are a PINTA to get to otherwise.

Mounting the delivery tube, I used the heavy zip-strips at the lower aluminum chain guard, and used the "rubber channel" pieces (cut into several applicable lengths), and used the supplied superglue.  I was careful to route the delivery tube so that it will not be damaged by chain or suspension movement.  No problems so far.

I really like the oiler.  There is no perfect setting for the thing.  I just keep an eye on the wetness of the chain and tweak it from there.  There are too many factors to consider, making it impossible to find a perfect drip rate.  (temperature, road conditions - wet, dry, dirty, etc).  It does make a little mess, on the underside of the fairing tail from chain fling, and will drip oil from the drive sproket cover when the drip rate is excessive, but it is worth it.  I never have to "clean the chain" or spray that other shit, which has oversprayed on the exhaust, rear brake disk, rear tire, and other areas.

>>> Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/02 4:53 PM >>>
Hi all,
	I just got done mounting the RMV for the standard Scottoiler and was
wondering where other folks decided to mount theirs. I really wanted to
mount it on the right-hand side seat rail behind the rear fairing. Not
only is there room, but it's nicely symmetrical with the coolant
resevoir on the left-hand side, and there's already a hole in the rail
that works with the bolt-on clamp set. Unfortunately, with the fairing
in place there wasn't enough space to get a couple of fingers on the
flow adjuster, so making adjustments would be a pain. Also, any
adjustments would require removing the seat, even if I could figure out
a way to get a finger in between the fairing and the seat rail. (I know
the front portion of the fairing just pops in and out, but I don't want
to risk cracking the fairing by bending it all the time, either.)
	So, with daylight fading fast, I decided to mount the RMV on the back
side of the rear brake fluid resevoir's mounting bracket. The screw that
attaches the resevoir is just long enough for the bolt-on clamp set's
bracket, washer and nut. (If I decide to keep this location, though,
I'll probably add a drop or two of Loctite to that nut.) Lastly, I taped
the breather hose to the inboard side of the pillion foot peg bracket.
	Has anyone else tried this location? It seems to be pretty clear of the
rear shock, and it's definitely clear of the rear tire. I'm a little
concerned about road grime getting kicked up by the rear tire, but I'm
planning on getting a rear hugger, so I think that'll solve that
problem. Now I just have to figure out how to route the vacuum and oil
lines...
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP
McLean, VA

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website