Re: Winter Maintenance Tips Please

Jonathan Culver wrote:

> Hello S.T.er's

	Hello Jonathan.

> I am riding all year round in rainy/icy England.

	Me too.

> and have some questions....
>
> *       How do I remove road salt from the bike thoroughly?

	Wash it.

> *       How do I protect my bike from rusting or picking up road salt?

	Don't ride it ;-)

	This seems to be one of the joys of the British winter.  You can tuck
your bike away for the winter and ride a winter hack; or you can wash
the bike thoroughly every time it gets salty; or you can wash the bike
whenever you get around to it and keep your fingers crossed.

	A decent polish (such as Motorex 645, recommended by Triumph) will give
some protection from the elements.

	This is my first winter with an ST, but my T3 Daytona survived pretty
well on a couple of washes during the winter and then a thorough clean
in the spring.  I'm hoping that the ST will be the same, because it is
my main transport and I personally can't face cleaning it when I get
home at midnight on a rainy Sunday.

> *       What is the best cleanser (avilable in the UK) for the exaust
> can/muffler?

	Motorex 900 works pretty well (on the rest of the bike too!), but will
still require some elbow grease for baked-on dirt on the exhaust.

> *       How do I stop my Arai helmet visor icing and misting?

	Fog City Fog Shield; make sure you get the Arai version with the
cutouts for the eybrow vents.

	Whereabouts in England?

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_            Don't suppose you'd swap the ZX7 for a
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___  ZX-4 and a stuffed armadillo?
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Neil Ronketti

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website