Re: Winter Maintenance Tips Please

Hi Jonathan,

I am currently doing 800 miles a week in this lovely British weather we are
having at the moment :-)

>* How do I remove road salt from the bike thoroughly?

I use a combination of Autoglym motorcycle cleaner and engine degreaser and
then hose off. Then wash the paint work with normal auto shampoo.

>* How do I protect my bike from rusting or picking up road salt?

I use a combination of Motorex 645 Protect and Shine, Halfords spray grease
and WD-40. Avoid spraying the Motorex 645 on the downpipes though otherwise
the bike does a good impression of a sauna when first started. The bike will
still get covered in salt but this stops it causing any damage.

I also fitted the rear hugger to keep the worst of the rear shock.

>* What is the best cleanser (avilable in the UK) for the exaust
>can/muffler?

A light rub with Halfords Frequent Metal Polish and then coat in Motorex
645.

I have clocked up 7700 miles since September 1999 and the bike still looks
new apart from a couple of stone chips from motorway riding.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ian
Kent, England

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website