Newish list member with a few questions

- ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BF6204.0A845860

Hello Everyone-
I've been lurking the mailing list for a few weeks trying to glean =
information about the Sprint ST.  After reading the reviews and then =
your mailings I'm 80% sure that an ST is for me.  I just need to get a =
test ride for me and my wife-she wants to test the rear seat I also need =
to work on my personal speed triple issues-I want one of those too.

A little info about myself, I'm in Gilbert, AZ.  My previous bikes were =
a Nighthawk 450 (my learner) and then a Hawk GT which I rode for 4-5 =
years, most of those years without owning a 4 wheeled vehicle (It was in =
Atlanta so I did freeze my rear off occasionally in the winter - =
electric vests and grips are very nifty).  I sold the Hawk when I moved =
to Arizona two years ago (gee, I'm done with school, I have a real job, =
I can easily afford a new bike-VERY naive of me).=20

To be honest, when I first went bike hunting this time around I thought =
I was set on a Superhawk.  But, my wife nixed that idea, "I don't like =
the way it looks, it can't be comfortable". Then of all things she =
suggested going to look at Triumphs and Ducatis (I have NO idea where =
that idea came from-honest).  So, I started reading up on my options and =
realized that the Sprint ST or the ST4 were the main choices (except I =
really wanted a Speed Triple, but she nixed it also).  After reading all =
the reviews floating around in the press, I'm pretty much decided on a =
Sprint ST (unless I change her mind on the speed triple-yes I know it =
isn't a sports tourer but it is such a hooligan looking bike-or maybe =
Hawk GT looking...).

Anyway, enough background on me, I have a few questions to ask some are =
technical and some are more business related.  Very special thanks to =
Jong for the searchable archive! The night before it showed up on the =
web site I had begun to copy every archive digest into Word so I could =
search for keywords-luckily I only copied about 25 days worth.

Technical Questions (Sorry, I'm an engineer by trade so I like to have =
all the information I can):
1) Does the pipe pivot down when you put on the panniers?  The salesman =
at the shop said they didn't but the pictures I've seen looks like it =
does.
2) If you do have to lower the pipe, does it drastically effect your =
ground clearance on that side?
3) Is the Triumph slip-on as loud as the TBR slip on?
4) Does the Triumph slip-on have to be re-packed occasionally? (again, =
the salesman didn't sound all that sure)
5) How much HP is gained with the Triumph slip-on and re-map (I read in =
one article 6 HP but has anyone done a before-after dyno run?)  Same =
thing for a TBR slip on (and also, what is the best program to use for =
the re-map?)
6) Did anyone ever find out why the 2000 sprockets changed teeth (I =
didn't quite catch an answer from that thread. Again, the salesman =
didn't know-actually he didn't even know they changed it until I pointed =
it out).=20

Business Questions:
1) How do you pronounce Panniers? (sorry, Georgia schooling)
2) Does anyone have any negative comments on the dealers in Phoenix?  =
I'd hate to learn the hard way.
3) I have one estimate from a dealer, it includes a $140 "Documentation" =
line item.  It seems kinda bogus to me (same with the $429 freight and =
the $286 set-up) but before I push him on this Documentation Item I want =
to make sure that it is bogus (and tax, tag, and title are listed =
separately).

Thanks for the great mailing list.  It has been a really big help in =
making my decision.  Again, thanks for the searchable archive.  If it =
wasn't for the search, a would have 3 times as many questions.  Also, =
thanks to your fellow lister Mark Dieck from Mesa, AZ.  I crossed him at =
a bike shop and he answered a whole lot of my questions!

Adam Nagel
Soon to have 2 wheels again
Gilbert, AZ

- ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BF6204.0A845860

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello Everyone-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I've been lurking the mailing list =
for a few=20
weeks trying to glean information about the Sprint ST.&nbsp; After =
reading the=20
reviews and then your mailings I'm 80% sure that an ST is for me.&nbsp; =
I just=20
need to get a test ride for me and my wife-she wants to test the rear =
seat I=20
also need to work on my personal speed triple issues-I want one of those =

too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>A little info about myself, I'm in =
Gilbert,=20
AZ.&nbsp; My previous bikes were a Nighthawk 450 (my learner) and then a =
Hawk GT=20
which I rode for 4-5 years, most of those years without owning a 4 =
wheeled=20
vehicle (It was in Atlanta so I did freeze my rear off occasionally in =
the=20
winter - electric vests and grips are very nifty).&nbsp; I sold the Hawk =
when I=20
moved to Arizona two years ago (gee, I'm done with school, I have a real =
job, I=20
can easily afford a new bike-VERY naive of me). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>To be honest, when I first went bike =
hunting=20
this time around I thought I was set on a Superhawk.&nbsp; But, my wife =
nixed=20
that idea, &quot;I don't like the way it looks, it can't be =
comfortable&quot;.=20
Then of all things she suggested going to look at Triumphs and Ducatis =
(I have=20
NO idea where that idea came from-honest).&nbsp; So, I started reading =
up on my=20
options and realized that the Sprint ST or the ST4 were the main choices =
(except=20
I really wanted a Speed Triple, but she nixed it also).&nbsp; After =
reading all=20
the reviews floating around in the press, I'm pretty much decided on a =
Sprint ST=20
(unless I change her mind on the speed triple-yes I know it isn't a =
sports=20
tourer but it is such a hooligan looking bike-or maybe Hawk GT=20
looking...).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Anyway, enough background on me, I =
have a few=20
questions to ask some are technical and some are more business =
related.&nbsp;=20
Very special thanks to Jong for the searchable archive! The night before =
it=20
showed up on the web site I had begun to copy every archive digest into =
Word so=20
I could search for keywords-luckily I only copied about 25 days=20
worth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Technical Questions (Sorry, I'm an =
engineer by=20
trade so I like to have all the information I can):</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>1) Does the pipe pivot down when you =
put on the=20
panniers?&nbsp; The salesman at the shop said they didn't but the =
pictures I've=20
seen looks like it does.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>2) If you do have to lower the pipe, =
does it=20
drastically effect your ground clearance on that side?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>3) Is the Triumph slip-on as loud as =
the TBR=20
slip on?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>4) Does the Triumph slip-on have to =
be re-packed=20
occasionally? (again, the salesman didn't sound all that =
sure)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>5) How much HP =
is gained=20
with the Triumph slip-on and re-map (I read in one article 6 HP but has =
anyone=20
done a before-after dyno run?)&nbsp; Same thing for a TBR slip on (and =
also,=20
what is the best program to use for the re-map?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>6) Did anyone ever find out why the 2000 sprockets =
changed=20
teeth (I didn't quite catch an answer from that thread. Again, the =
salesman=20
didn't know-actually he didn't even know they changed it until I pointed =
it=20
out). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Business Questions:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1) How do you pronounce Panniers? (sorry, Georgia=20
schooling)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2) Does anyone have any negative comments on the =
dealers in=20
Phoenix?&nbsp; I'd hate to learn the hard way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3) I have one estimate from a dealer, it includes a =
$140=20
&quot;Documentation&quot; line item.&nbsp; It seems kinda bogus to me =
(same with=20
the $429 freight and the $286 set-up) but before I push him on this=20
Documentation Item I want to make sure that it is bogus (and tax, tag, =
and title=20
are listed separately).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks for the great mailing list.&nbsp; It has been =
a really=20
big help in making my decision.&nbsp; Again, thanks for the searchable=20
archive.&nbsp; If it wasn't for the search, a would have 3 times as many =

questions.&nbsp; Also, thanks to your fellow lister Mark Dieck from =
Mesa,=20
AZ.&nbsp; I crossed him at a bike shop and he answered a whole lot of my =

questions!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Adam Nagel</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Soon to have 2 wheels again</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Gilbert, AZ</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BF6204.0A845860--