[none]

Finally got my bike in for its initial service after Xmas, NY,
bout of flu and 1150 miles (slapped wrists for me).
Just wanted to pass on a few items of anecdotal information
picked up from the mechanic and workshop manager at Jack
Lilleys.

1) I got the lights relayed together again, so both headlights
now work simultaneously on main and dipped beam. I was supposed
to sign a disclaimer, but we never got round to it. Not that I
lose sleep at night over it
2) Mentioned the suspension to them and asked them to firm it up
a bit, as I'm 200 lbs, nearly always have the panniers and/or
some dead weight on and felt the front was a bit squidgy, but
they said it was optimally set already and any more would have
me flying off if I drove over speed ramps too fast.
3) Mentioned the fuel gauge, but they are pretty sure there will
be no recall. Rather, they will get a consignment of new ones
from Hinckley and just be told to replace them on an as-and-when
basis as people come in and/or complain. I gather that means
that the fuel gauge, if not the labour, will be free, but don't
quote me. Like I say, mine (from October 1999) seems fine now.
Perfect solution and ultimate fix are not phrases that are
bandied about down there, so maybe Triumph are reluctant to
commit at this stage.
4) Talked about spongey brakes, but they said that everyone
moans about them. The front one is almost too good and the back
one is near to useless. I find that hard to live with, but hey -
what choice do we have?
5) Got the brake lever lowered, as on the last one, as I have a
tendency to rest the tip of my boot on it and that must surely
add to the wear?

Captain's Yule Log,
stardate 2000
Planet Teddington