Re: Newish list member with a few questions

> Pen & Adam wrote:
>
> 1) Does the pipe pivot down when you put on the panniers?  The
> salesman at the shop said they didn't but the pictures I've seen looks
> like it does.

Yes, you have to pivot the can downwards in order to get the saddlebag
on.

> 2) If you do have to lower the pipe, does it drastically effect your
> ground clearance on that side?

No one's reported problems, AFAIK.

> 3) Is the Triumph slip-on as loud as the TBR slip on?

About a month ago I rode behind someone with a TBR slip on on his
Superhawk -- boy did it sound nice! I just got the Triumph carbon fibre
can installed last weekend and it's been snowing so I haven't ridden
enough to be able to compare very well. I don't think it's quite as
loud, but it does have a nice, deep tone to it.

> 4) Does the Triumph slip-on have to be re-packed occasionally? (again,
> the salesman didn't sound all that sure)

Dunno.

> 5) How much HP is gained with the Triumph slip-on and re-map (I read
> in one article 6 HP but has anyone done a before-after dyno run?)
> Same thing for a TBR slip on (and also, what is the best program to
> use for the re-map?)

I did the before-and-after dyno when changing pipes; they dyno charts
will be on their way to Eric later this week for inclusion on the Web
site. It looks like I got about a 6 HP gain throughout most of the
range, but the improvement is less at the top end, skewing the peak
difference. (In fact, the fourth-gear run has the stock can and tune
putting out 98 HP, while the CF pipe and tune #1007 max out at only 97.1
HP.)

> 6) Did anyone ever find out why the 2000 sprockets changed teeth (I
> didn't quite catch an answer from that thread. Again, the salesman
> didn't know-actually he didn't even know they changed it until I
> pointed it out).

I don't think we discovered a "definitive" answer, but my guess would be
that it helps increase the range a bit.

> Business Questions:
> 1) How do you pronounce Panniers? (sorry, Georgia schooling)

PAN-yers. (Kansas schooling.)

> 3) I have one estimate from a dealer, it includes a $140
> "Documentation" line item.  It seems kinda bogus to me (same with the
> $429 freight and the $286 set-up) but before I push him on this
> Documentation Item I want to make sure that it is bogus (and tax, tag,
> and title are listed separately).

I paid list ($10,495), plus had a destination charge of $190 and a
dealer prep of $226. All the DMV-related fees came to $430. Others may
have done better...

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting