Re: Newish list member with a few questions

At 10:33 PM 01/18/2000 -0700, Pen & Adam wrote:
 >Triple, but she nixed it also).  After reading all the reviews floating
 >around in the press, I'm pretty much decided on a Sprint ST (unless I change
 >her mind on the speed triple-yes I know it isn't a sports tourer but it is
 >such a hooligan looking bike-or maybe Hawk GT looking...).

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with the bike. As I have
owned both I can honestly say that if I could afford having both, I would.
The Speed Triple is a really fun bike for blowing off some steam. But I
didn't enjoy it much for any LD riding....

 >1) Does the pipe pivot down when you put on the panniers?  The salesman at
 >the shop said they didn't but the pictures I've seen looks like it does.

Well, several people have said yes, but I haven't seen anyone
elaborate.  When you purchase the bags you receive a small adapter that
mounts on the hanger and drops the mounting point for the pipe about 1 - 2
inches down.

 >2) If you do have to lower the pipe, does it drastically effect your ground
 >clearance on that side?

Nope - still hit the feelers on the footpegs before getting the pipe on the
road. If your pipe is dragging there is a good chance that you are no
longer riding, but rather sliding down the road after your bike......

 >3) I have one estimate from a dealer, it includes a $140 "Documentation"
 >line item.  It seems kinda bogus to me (same with the $429 freight and the
 >$286 set-up) but before I push him on this Documentation Item I want to make
 >sure that it is bogus (and tax, tag, and title are listed separately).

While the dealer (at least in the US) does pay a freight charge, it is not
$429..... Unless they are dropping the price of the bike below list or
waxing your trout every time you walk through the door, they are high (read
that any way you want)

- - Weasel Dog