Re: Brakes and stuff

Jim Gillespie wrote:
>         As I mentioned a week or so ago, cleaning my front brakes made a *heck*
> of a difference.  When I got my bike one of the things which stood out
> was how good the back brake was, so I think cleaning is a good place to
> start.

I unintentionally caused my front brakes to become much more firm
recently during the process of removing the front wheel for new
rubber.  I had both calipers off and spread the pads apart with a
screwdriver prior to refitting the wheel.  After refitting the
calipers to the sliders and pumping them up again with the brake
lever, the brakes were so much firmer I had to readjust the brake
lever so my fingers could reach it comfortably.  That was about 1K
miles ago and they still haven't lost any of that newly found bite.
I am assuming that I just pushed the caliper pistons out in the
cylinder and they are now not retracting as much.

Gary