Re: Camping/GPS

At 09:23 AM 01/21/2000 -0500, Anita Lauro wrote:
 >While I'm waiting for the snow to melt so I can test ride an ST, I thought
 >I'd ask two more questions. Thanks for all the helpful info so far, btw!

Snow ? what's that ? .......

 >Has anyone mounted a GPS on their ST?  If so, where/how? I have a Lowrance

Not I, but would like to add one. I was just going to pick up a mount from
Saeng (http://www.saeng.com) and go from there.

 >For those of you who have gone camping with your ST, what's a good setup for
 >attaching a sleeping bag, pad and tent to the bike?  At most I'd be looking
 >at the 2 pannier setup with a rack, I guess.

Passenger (y/n) ?

I bought a canoe bag from LL Beans that I use for the camping gear. I have
ridden through torrential rain and never had anything get wet. The bag
looks very much like a duffel bag but is made out of rubber covered nylon.
The version I have has a waterproof zipper that runs diagonally the length
of the bag. I keep the tent, ground pad, sleeping bag, inflatable pad and
bike cover all stored in it with plenty of room for the extras. Having one
piece makes tying it off a lot easier. I normally strap it to the passenger
seat - the top box keeps it in place. If I was running with a passenger
then I would loose the top box and tie it off to the rack.

I don't have a picture of it on the ST, but if you use the link below, you
can see the setup on my old Sprint with 2 GiVis.

http://www.elscom.com/trippics/camploadl.JPG

- - Eric
aka Weasel Dog