From: James Lock [mailto:jlock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: maandag 24 januari 2000 14:30
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Engine problems on my ST

Hi everyone.  I just wanted to report to the group the recent problems I had
with my 2000 ST.  With 1,700 miles on the bike everything was going great.
I put over 12k on my '99 ST with no problems as well.  I started noticing a
small oil leak around the rear of the engine.  The leak then also moved up
to the valve cover.  Not enough to worry about, but enough to be able to
wipe off with a rag.  I was out riding several weeks ago and I got a to a
long straight road (lots of those here in Texas) so I tucked in and opened
it up.  I was running about 130 for a mile or so when I looked in my mirror
to see where my friend was on his new Aprilia Mille.  I couldn't see
anything behind me.  I turned around and my bike was smoking like a fog
machine.  My first thought was that I had cracked a piston so I pulled in
the clutch and slowed to a stop.  With the engine running I could rev the
motor and smoke would pour out of the pipe.  I checked my oil level and it
was ok.  The bike was running fine just smoking.  I rode it home and when I
parked it I noticed the oil leaks had gotten worse as it dripped oil on my
garage floor like my old Bonneville used to.  I pulled the tank and looked
in the air box and it was loaded with oil.  I rode the bike about thirty
more miles with low RPMs and it didn't smoke anymore but it was still
leaking.
  I took it to my dealer (Lone Star in Austin).  The found a craked seal
aound some breather impeller (or something) there on the left side of the
engine behind the left crankcase cover.  The crankcase was pressurizing and
blowing oil out of every seal and up into the airbox.  They have not seen
one do this before, but they have seen a couple with minor oil seeps.  I
suspect if I had not run at really high rpm for a long distance, mine would
have had just leaks and no oil would have made it to the air box.  So. if
your ST starts leaking anywhere, tell the dealer to put a oil filler plug
with a pressure gauge tapped in and see if the crankcase is building
pressure at higher rpm.  If so the left side cover needs to come off and
check that breather mechanism.  I don't know what it looks like but on the
RS you can see the left side easily.  It's something behind that first
cover.
 James Lock

*