Re: I GOT MY ST!!!!

There is no real answer.  The first few miles are most critical.  The engine components' metallurgical structural properties change with each heat cycle, becoming stronger with more cycles while breaking in.  That is another reason why it is not wise to hot rod a new engine.   I have no idea how many cycles are needed before each additional heat cycle has a negligible effect.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just stop often and let it cool down for a few minutes.  That is also the idea behind varying your speed, it keeps those temps going up and down like a yo-yo.  And of coarse, your bearings, valvetrain, tranny, pistons, liners, I can go on and on, tires, etc, all need to wear in, which will produce higher than normal temperatures, so no need to add additional strains to the new motor.  Be safe.

>>> Otterboy <jong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/25 4:17 PM >>>

  David> I picked mine up in the rain too :-)
  David> Be sure to make several stops, turning off the engine.  More heat cycles, the merrier!!

  For how long?  The whole breakin cycle, or just the first 100? 500?

- --
- -jong