Re: batteries in general

From: Leatherbiker <Leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>I went in to buy a new bat. charger today [...] That didn't faze me, till I
heard the price -
>£45. Seemed a bit much to me.

    Look on the bright side - a friend of mine with a FireBlade was told by
his dealer that if he would have to use the approved Honda charger - a mere
GBP120 (USD200)!

>However, he pointed out that it was not only inadvisable to use a normal
>charger but highly dangerous, as the sealed bat.s can explode

    I've heard this before, but it seems like an extreme case.  Then again,
it's only got to happen once to ruin your whole day ;-)

>Tell me if I'm wrong, but does the Triumph manual (skimpy as it is)
actually
>mention this little detail anywhere?

    In amongst the "WARNING: do not drink battery acid" type stuff I found
this:

    "When recharging the battery, ensure that the rate of charge does not
exceed 1.2 Amps."

>It's going into Jack's tomorrow anyway, but I'm curious.

    Really?  Mine's going in tomorrow for the insurance engineer to have a
look.  I'm aiming to get there just before 9am.  See you there?

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_            Don't suppose you'd swap the ZX7 for a
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___  ZX-4 and a stuffed armadillo?
'99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                         -- Neil Ronketti