Re: new guy, looking for a sport-tourer (longish... )

Misha,

Some 'biased' answers to your questions from my experience:

1) I'm 6'0" and rode a Kawasaki Concours for 12 years.  I never thought I
would like a sport fairing instead of the full comfort of the Concours
fairing.  After a couple of days I was hooked.  Even though there is
definitely pressure on the upper body, the rest of the fairing works quite
nicely, and the smooth wind (I actually sold the after market taller touring
windscreen because it created too much turbulence) from the stock windshield
takes all the pressure off of my wrists.  Its just great.

2) If you scan through the digest, there were some early problems with
engine bolts being replaced, and a non-working fuel gauge.  It appears that
these things are basically history on the 2000 models.  I had the bolts
replaced on my '99, and its in the shop right now getting the correct fuel
gauge fix..   Outside of that the bike has been rock solid .

3) My scoot has never bogged down in hot weather; rode it all summer without
a hitch.

4) Everyone will probably tell you that the transmission gets smooth as
butter once you get it broken in.  I was even shocked when a speed freak
buddy of mine who rides an R1 like Duhamel, tried the ST and told me how
smooth the tranny was.

5) I can't point you to any write ups about cross country trips (I'm sure
someone else can), but I went from Denver to Portland OR this past summer,
blitzing the Interstates to save time and get up there.  I kept the bike
between 90-100mph most of the way.  Never a hiccup, and I was amazed at how
cool the darn thing ran.

I bought the Concours in '87, the year after it was voted by one of the
magazines as Bike of the Year.  I stayed loyal for a long time, but I've got
to tell you, that hands down, this Sprint ST is the best all around bike I
have ever owned in 25+ years of motorcycling.

Hope that helps,   Lance LaCerte,  Denver, CO