Re: Should I?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, J.R. Daker wrote:

> I'm very so close to getting an ST.  I just have to make the final
> decision.  I really wanted a clean '97 ZX-11, but can't find one.  New
> ones cost real money, and for almost the same real money, the ST seems
> a lot more worthwhile.

Hmmm, pretty damn close to the same decision I am going through.
But don't quit have a the pennies in the bank yet.

I currently have a ZX6e and a ZX9r. The ZX6e is the little brother
of the 11 and is great for long distance. I have a couple of friends
who have 11's and love them. I've had the opportunity to ride both.

The best analogy I can give is to compare the ZX11 to a supp'd up
camaro, producing more than enough HP for all except on or two sick
induhviduals. Where as I would compare the ST to say a BWM M-coupe,
not quite as fast, but a lot lighter, turns quicker, even though
it is lighter it still manages to have as good if not a better
ride. And curiously enough, with the baggage available for both, the
m-coupe can carry more stuff (ZX11 of course gets the *nice looking*
givi :-)

So if you feel the need to be a bit more stretched out and travel
at 160-170mph for extended periods of time, as well as being able
to achieve, with a bit of practice, sub 11sec 1/4 miles the ZX11
is the bike for you.

But if you want something a bit lighter in the twisties, but yet
a bit more upright seating position. Better luggage, better gas
mileage then the ST is for you, well and me. Like I said still
saving pennies.

But don't get me wrong, the 11 is an amazing bike, and have talked
to many who put > 20k miles/year on theirs.

For me it is easily, my ZX9rC2 is already faster than the 11, so I
am looking for a bike that is still competent in the twisties,
which the ST is every bit a competent as the 11 from what I can
see, and is comfortable enough to put 2 600 mile days back to back
with only the difference in the odometer to show for it.

And for an extra 50 or so bucks a month, go with what is going to
meet you needs.

Anyway, the insurance for the ST will probably be cheaper, for some
reason they think the ST is a slow bike ;-)

And back to the performance, the ST is not as fast as the 11, but
AFAIK there are but two cars possibly faster in the 1/4 mile than
the ST, that would be the Mclaren F1 or the Viper GTS-R.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)

End of st-digest V2000 #29