Sigma BC800 computer

Well, it was too icy to ride a couple of weeks ago and I happened to be in a
bicycle shop in town when I saw a BC800 computer and recognised it from the
ST web site...so I had some fun with cable ties one evening (not the kind of
fun you're thinking!), glued a button magnet to the brake disc carrier and
fitted the computer support to the bars.

Finally the weather was good enough this morning to take the bike out for a
test.  The new Scottoiler I'd also fitted worked fine, but the BC800 was
totally convinced we were stationary.  Funny, I thought, the speedo says 200
and it certainly feels like we're moving (German autobahns-great test
tracks!)

So I waved the original magnet from the BC800 kit at the sensor in the
garage and checked the sensor & wiring were working.  Then I took the button
magnet off the wheel and tried waving it at the sensor - nothing.  No matter
how close I put the magnet to the sensor, nothing.  Seems bizarre, but it's
possible to have the wrong kind of magnet!

The button magnet I bought turns out to be magnetic on one side only - it
has both the North and South poles on the same side.  The sensor sees both
North and South fields at the same time and gets an average of no field, so
the computer doesn't think the bike is moving.  If anyone else out there is
thinking of fitting a BC800, make sure you get a button magnet that is
magnetic on both sides - check that either side of it will stick to a fridge
door or something else made of steel.

Eric - perhaps you could add this as a tip to the Sigma installation page?

I'm still looking forward to finding out what 200 km/h on the Triumph speedo
really means!

Neil