True Throttle Wheelies

Dear Joe,

Between 3,500 & 4000rpm is the best to throttle wheelie your bike. It is
much easier with the "off-road" pipe.

Tecnique: rolling along in the torque "sweet-spot" (3,500-4000rpm depending
on the bike) in first gear, cut the throttle so that the front end dives, as
the spring starts to push the front end back up, nail the throttle to the
stop and pull on the bars. It will lift and you are at low enough revs (and
speed) to be able to control the bike once the wheel is in the air and get a
decent enough wheelie before having to shift gears (which is best practiced
on a dirt bike for many years before attempting on your beautiful, plastic
laden street bike).

This tecnique is very easy on the Speed Triple, but requires the timing to
be just right on the ST or RS because there is more rider weight on the
front wheel. My lawyer has recommended you practice on a closed circuit
course ( in my world that's an empty parking lot). Start with a slight
up-hill stretch until you've got the timing down, then you'll be able to do
them on flat ground.

Mike Ciebien
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
www.rockymtnmoto.com