Re: Clutch rod seal

Kyle Rocke writes:
 > I had my clutch rod seal changed when they replaced my clutch
 > rod. It broke!

    When I had a look at my clutch rod, it has a groove in it worn by
the spring.  Something to keep an eye on as the miles rack up (just
over 21,000 miles on my bike just now).

 > You'll need to take the clutch rod out in order to put in a new
 > seal. Just put the bike on the side stand, take off the clutch
 > cover, scrape and replace clutch cover gasket, take out clutch rod,
 > poke out clutch rod seal from inside of clutch cover, replace
 > clutch rod seal, replace clutch rod, replace clutch cover, and
 > you're done.

    Yup.

    If anyone heard a loud sighing sound at around 8.45pm BST, that
was me getting home from work and finding that the underside of the
engine didn't have any fresh oil on it - the smear I found this
morning must have been from when I had the cover off, and didn't clean
the casing properly.  Lesson learned: clean up properly and don't
spend a day worrying that you've knackered your bike!

 > Unfortunately ....... you can't just lift up the clutch rod, take
 > out the seal, replace it and then put the clutch rod back. Would
 > have been nice if you could.

    Yup.  I suppose you could modify the inner end of the clutch rod;
the only function that the bit at the end seems to serve is to prevent
easy replacement of the rod and seal.  Should be an easy few grams of
weight to save there too ;-)

Earlier I wrote:
 > >    I notice that there is a loose washer on top of the seal which
 > > doesn't appear to be doing very much, but I can't see how it
 > > could be restrained.

    On reflection, I think that the washer is there to protect the
seal from the spring, which might otherwise wear it out in
double-quick time.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_               I don't have the time or the fridge
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Richard Moore