RE: Broken ST - update

Rick Damiani <rickd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> From: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> The job went fairly smoothly, but there may be slight seepage from
>> the new gasket :-(  Is this to be expected with a new gasket?

> No. Especially a gasket that has no pressure behind it.

    Well, there was no seepage when I got home last night, and none when
I got to work this morning.  *BIG* sigh of relief, and much improved
workshop practise in the future!

>> I thought I'd removed all of the old gasket from the metal.  I nicked
>> the paint on the cover in a couple of places; how big does a nick
>> have to be before it's a worry?

> Not large at all - especially if it's on the bottom of the cover. A
> word of advice for next time: If you can't get all of the gasket
> completly off, get as much off as you can, make the remainder smooth,

    I did have a quick go with very fine emery paper (stroking to the
outside of the cover).

> and use an extra thick coat of RTV to back up the gasket.

    What's RTV?

>> When I put it back together I put a smear of Hylomar Blue gasket goo
>> on both metal faces, did the bolts up finger tight and then
>> progressively tightened them all to 9Nm.

> How heavy is a smear of gasket goo? Was there enough for some to ooze
> out when you tightened the bolts?

    Yes, just a couple of millimetres.

    Thanks,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              Of course, this is a heuristic, which
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___    is a fancy way of saying that it
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   doesn't work
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                    -- Mark-Jason Dominus