OH NO! ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST?

Leatherbiker  <leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> After a slow and hot trip into London this evening to visit friends, my ST
> suddenly conked out in mid flow, which has never happened before. I rolled
> into the side and tried restarting it. After a good many attempts, shifting
> between in and out of gear, clutch lever in and out, sidestand up and down
> etc., I finally got it started and made it about another mile to where I was
> actually going. By then the thought foremost in my mind was that the weather
> was quite warm, the bike had been in heavy traffic, and it had probably
> overheated, although the temp. gauge didn't indicate that at all, and the
> fan hadn't even come on.
> After parking the bike and visiting friends, I came down expecting it to
> start straight away, having presumably cooled off in the meantime. But no
> joy. Just that ominous click. Battery full of juice, double headlights
> working a treat.

    Where is the click coming from?  The front fairing or beside the
seat unit (fuel pump relay on right, starter solenoid on left)?  It
could be the same problem I've got, which I think is a dodgy earth from
the front of the bike to the back - the routing of the wiring loom
around the headstock looks rather suspect to me.

> But this is where I started to notice the fine film of oil all over
> the inside of the fairing, on the engine and even up on the side of
> the saddle.  So is this the dreaded oil leak everyone has been talking
> about?

    Which side of the bike is it on?  Could it be from the clutch rod
oil seal?  Problem is, to be sure of finding it you'll have to clean it
all up and run the bike....

> And does this mean that the engine has actually seized up?

    Did the bike make any horrible rattles or clanks before you stopped?
Did it lose power?  I've only (!) seized one engine, and I knew about it
immediately!  The oil may not be related to the bike conking out.

> Hard to believe this could have developed so quickly - the bike only
> just went in for the 6,000 mile service 10 days ago.

    Aha - recent servicing.  Could be that something wasn't quite
tightened correctly, or was overtightened, or an O-ring got pinched.
You could check the easy things - the oil filter and drain plug.

    As for the starting problem, mine started fine when I left work, and
wouldn't start at all after stopping at Halfords for five minutes.

> OK, it's still under warranty, but could it be something less serious
> than a new engine?

    I would expect so.

> I'll probably find out tomorrow - meantime I'm shattered, after waiting 2
> 1/2 hours for the SOS truck in central London!
> Not sure which is the more incredible of the two events!

    2.5 hours is rather a long time!

    With my fingers crossed,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              The easier it is for people to find
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___    Perl programmers, the more Perl there
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   will be in the world and the less
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   suffering and misery
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                     -- Jonathan Peterson