Re: even more GPS stuff

  Blake> Otterboy wrote:
  >>
  >> I'm sure most of you are sick of it, but I've some more GPS
  >> mounting pictures, this time with an eMap from Garmin.

  Blake> I'm not sick of it -- I think it's way-cool! You've found a solution
  Blake> that I'd like to try, too. I have a couple of questions for you, though:

  Blake> 1) How did you wire it into the bike's electrical system, or are you
  Blake> just using the internal batteries?

  BWM makes a BMW-accessory-plug->cigarette-lighter adapter.  I am
using this, with it routed inside the port side fairing, with the GPS
cig-adapter plugged into that.  All you see it it plugged into the
accessory plug, and then the wire coming out near the handle bars
waiting to be plugged into the GPS.  I don't ever get cold enough in
the Aerostitch to need any electric clothing, so the accessory plug is
dedicated to GPS power...

  Blake> 2) Did you get any additional maps? MetroGuide, Roads and Recreation, or
  Blake> something else?

  I have both MetroGuide and Roads and Rec, and I would definitely
recommend the roads and rec over the metroguide.

  Blake> 3) What about other accessories, like the PC cable, memory cards,
  Blake> external antenna, etc.?

  I have a 16MB memory card for the eMap, and the PC cable (to get the
MapSource map data into the little bugger).  On the bike, there is
never a need for the external antennae, and it actually works really
well in a closed car too, much better than the previous generation
receivers.

  The 16MB card is enough for the whole west coast, down to Monterey
CA, plus most of Washington State.  That's good enough for me.  I'll
probably take a laptop anyway for journalistic purposes, so I can
always rearrange the maps in the actual GPS.

  Blake> 4) Have you rain tested it yet? I'm a little concerned that it's only
  Blake> "rain resistant," not submersible.

  Yeah, well, this is a concern for me as well.  Since I'm in Seattle,
I figure it'll get tested soon enough.  I have some theories about
waterproofing that I'll test when the rainy season hits again (it
usually starts getting bad again beginning of Oct or so).

- --jong