Re: Fuel Guage

The only way this anomaly will ever be fixed is if Triumph releases an
entirely newly-engineered fuel gauge sender and IMHO this is not likely to
happen.

The current sender works as you describe, and as was pointed out, the
symptom is more likely to be caused by the shape of the tank than the sender
itself.  There's more gas in the upper half of the tank than in the lower
half due to the way the tank wraps around the frame.   They could
re-calibrate the markings on the gauge itself (ie. half full would be higher
up the gauge than marked currently), but the rate at which the needle drops
would not change unless they come up with a sender that operates in a
non-linear fashion.  In the meantime just note where the needle is when your
tripmeter reads half of whatever you normally get out of a tankfull.  The
tripmeter is much more accurate anyway.

So if I were you I wouldn't do anything unless your sender quits altogether,
starts acting erratically, or starts leaking.  My sender didn't work from
day one and the replacement had a slow but smelly leak.  The third unit is
working fine so far.  If the fuel sender is ever re-engineered you can bet
that it will only be fitted on new bikes and, assuming that it even still
fits older bikes, you'll likely have to buy it.

BTW, the idiot light works just fine.  It is supposed to come on when you
gave about a gallon left.  Actually my owners manual says "approximately 4
litres".

Neil 'Chili Dawg' Lindsey
'99 Black ST