Re: throw-over panniers

> It seems as though once the panel protectors are fit, the bags are easy to
> put on/take off.

True.  It takes about 1 minute to fit the bags once the panel protectors and saddle harness are installed.  The saddle harness takes about 3 minutes to initally install (getting all the straps properly snugged), but only about 1 minute thereafter.  It took me about 10 minutes to adjust all the straps for the panniers, but once that is done, it's simply a matter of attaching them to the saddle harness.

> What does fitting the panel protectors entail?

Remove the saddle.  Place left protector over bodywork, push the two 1/4-turn pins into the bracket until they go "click".  Do the same for the right protector.  Re-install saddle.

> How long, what hardware?

About 1 minute.  The brackets that secure the panels need to be installed (a one-time operation) which takes maybe 30 minutes (very easy job).

> If I want to take the panel protectors off, how long does it take?

About 1 minute... procedure is reverse of installation, except you turn the securing pins 1/4 turn to release them from the brackets.

I can install my Chase-Harper ET-4000 saddlebags much more quickly.  They don't need any special brackets or harness and they have a bit more capacity than the Triumph panniers), but they don't have the panel protectors.

Greg "Wiener Dawg" Gagliano