Re: New boy on the block

Hi Lex, sorry to hear about the drop.
I think I got the tip from someone on the list long ago.  Just take a 'tie wrap' (used for securing electrical cables to structures), and tie it around the opening part of the disc lock (my Kryptonite looks like an old fashioned block with 'D' ring).  When I put the lock on I stick the pointy end of the tie wrap into the ignition slot. Even unsober its pretty difficult to get the key in the ignition with a tie wrap stuck into it!   I'm not too good at remembering what happened yesterday, but as long as noone nicks (steals) the tie wrap I dont think I will have a problem.
Now the 'barbed wire' solution to travelling sounds great.  Have to get me one of those :)   Seems to me like fixing the bike to a secure object, with any cable strong enough to withstand a few minutes abuse is going to make other bikes look more attractive targets.
Looks like I cured the oil leak, btw:
1. chain overtightened at service
2. oil overfilled or breather pipe filled by accident.
cheers
Jonathan (ps. its still winter in Germany....another day of 13C!)

>>> matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 19/07/00 17:58:32 >>>
>Have any
>of ya'll had this sort of thing happen to you?
>BTW I'm throwing away that damned disk lock.

Probably a good idea. Every article I've read about disk locks mentions the
scenario you just went through, so I'm sure it's a common problem. Sorry
you had to learn about the pitfalls of disk locks so early in your bike's
life. That had to hurt seeing it down.

Personally, I use a cable, it's more visible, and hard to miss when I get
back to the bike. Mine is long enough I wrap it through the spokes of the
rear wheel and then over the seat. That also keeps it off the ground so
they can hammer it. It also allows you to lock the bike to solid objects,
or to lock the helmets when the luggage is full (assuming you have
luggage). Sure it could probably be cut, but if they really want your bike
they can always just lift it into a truck. So most often I don't even use
the cable. I also don't rely on alarms because I've never seen anyone
really react to one going off, other than the owner who becomes red faced.

Matt Knowles - http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles/sprintst.html
Red '99 Sprint ST - San Jose, CA