Re: Oil consumption?

Matt,

I was watching the engine temperature pretty closely up there, as
I knew the engine would be working harder than normal.  It never
did get particularly hot.  However, when we stopped at the
summit in Sonora Pass, the bike did barf out about 1/2 cup of
coolant onto the ground, so maybe it was running hot.

That's something I have to check on, too: the coolant puddled
around the side stand.  I was not beside the bike when it
overflowed, so I don't know exactly where it came from.  Does
anyone know if there is an overflow hose for the coolant tank in
that area?  I couldn't find one and could not find any source for
the coolant outflow with a cursory examination.  I thought I might
have blown the coolant pump or a hose or something.  Without
finding a source and with no additional loss, I went ahead and
had no trouble the rest of the day.  It may be that the
combination of heat and altitude caused the pressure cap to vent
a little.  The air is thin at 9600 feet.

Thanks for the input.

- -Keith