Re: Another New Member

At 11:25 PM 7/19/00 -0500, mksdouglas wrote:
>Hey everyone!  After a 4 year wait, I am finally a Triumph owner!  Yeah!  I
>just picked up my new 00' Blue ST a week and a half ago.  Needless to say, I
>Love It!

Welcome aboard !! A four year wait ? I couldn't have done it.....

>-Since purchase, my fuel warning light comes on continually even though the
>tank is not empty, or anywhere near empty.  Matter of fact, I had about a
>3/4 tank and the light would intermittently go on and off.  Has anyone else
>had this problem?  Is this normal?

Normal, but not as it should be. You have a flaky fuel sensor. Some have
had the sensors fix themselves after a few tankfuls of fuel. I would give
it a few tanks and if still having the problem, have your dealer take care
of it.

>-Stupid question #2: At what RPM do most of you shift while normal street
>riding?  I find myself shifting at about 4000 RPM.  Is this high, low, or
>just right?

probably a little low - try the 5000 - 6000 range.

>-What type of chain lube do you all recommend?

well, if it had been a few weeks ago, it would have been chain wax.
However, Bel Ray has just redesigned their chain lube - the new formulation
is labelled as "SuperClean" and it is. I goes on more like spray paint than
lube and stays exactly where you put it. Even after full days in the rain,
I still had good coverage. It is my new preferred lube.

>-I've never tightened a chain before.  Is there anything I need to look out
>for before tightening my ST's chain?

Not really - follow the directions and it is pretty straightforward. Make
sure that you are measuring where the chain is the tightest (chains can
have slack and tight spots)

>-In the middle of the seat on the side, there are two holes with threads in
>them, as if something screws into them to secure cargo?  I would like
>something there to help strap down cargo without running bungees over the
>painted cowls.  Dos anyone know WHAT screws into the holes?

The bolts that secure the seat cowl

Again, welcome on board.

- - Eric