CA Spec ST

Hi there. I'm new to the list and I just bought a '99 ST in California.
I live in Utah and therefore asked the dealer before the deal if it was
a CA Spec vs 49 State bike. He told me all bikes soldwest of Colorado
were identical. Is this really the case, or was I mislead. If so, what
are the ramifications. Can emissions stuff be removed easily and does it
net any real world results. Also, I've seen several references in the
archive to "performance tuning" what is this all about. I know I sound
naieve but I researched my last bike (99 BMW F650) for a year and knew
all about it when I bought it. (More than the salesman by the way). On
this one I went to the dealer to test ride the TT600 and fell in love at
first sight with the Sprint. I'm sure you all understand