Cleaning chains (grrr)...

Hi Steve,

I have had good results of late with a clever device called a "Chain
Scrubber" using good ol' kerosene. I bought it through Whipps Alloy Products
here in Australia and a quick search just found it at :
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/chaparral-performance/x.htm
It even comes with a cleaning solution in the States. No mess, no fuss and a
clean chain in next to no time :-)) It may not always prove as effective if
you have a heavy buildup of lube residue on the chain and it doesn't do much
to clean the sprockets, but it's still the best $28.00 I've ever spent on a
bike accessory! Apart from that, I use a small-ish paintbrush and kerosene
(never any other solvent which may damage the o-rings) with an old paint
tray to catch the runoff and lotsa newspaper :-(

Paul Bulfin.
Brisbane, Australia.

What do the listers prefer to use for cleaning their chains.

What are some of the various techniques used to clean chains?

Is their an easy way to do a thorough job that does not require removing
the chain?

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country