Cleaning Chains

Steve Lawler wrote:

<Does the Scottoiler clean the chain while it lubes it? I am skeptical.
I'm sure that it does a good job of keeping the chain oiled. But what do
you do when sand and other bits of crud work their way onto the chain? >

This is my 2 cents : In normal road riding I believe the biggest enemy is
rain (and here in NZ the occasional unsealed dusty road) and for this
purpose the Scottoiler is perfect because, being a free-flowing oil, it will
keep the chain clean as well as lubricated.  If you are in a very sandy area
then you could either up the flow rate or give the chain a regular external
wipe with a damp kerosene rag (I do that anyway just to keep the chain
good-looking.  My friends Blackbird chain (with Scottoiler) is just hitting
32K miles and still looking good.  I was very resistent/sceptical but now
I'm sold - especially when you consider it costs less than a chain.