Chains, chains chains!

Hi,
    There have been a few postings lately about chain cleaning, adjusting
and lubing. This works for me. Put the bike on its centerstand (I almost
didn't get mine as the dealer wasn't aware that it ships separately). WITH
THE ENGINE OFF AND THE TRANNY IN NEUTRAL (this should be common sense), I
wipe the chain with a rag (or paper towels) soaked in WD40 (to remove built
up lube and imbedded dirt) while rotating the wheel . Jam a piece of
cardboard in between the chain and spray the chain with Maxima chain wax.
Rotate the wheel by hand until the entire chain is wet. Let dry a few
minutes. Check chain slack halfway between the sprockets and adjust as per
the manual. On many bikes it needs to be checked with the bike sitting on
both wheels and someone sitting on it, as the swingarm may not pivot at the
same axis as the countershaft (small) sprocket. That means the chain may be
tightest when the bike is rolling and loaded.
    O-Ring chain is lubed internally (from the factory) between the link pin
and roller (reducing stretch), not by anything sprayed or dripped on the
chain. The O-ring keeps the factory lube in and water, dirt and external
lube out. The external lube is to prevent corrosion and reduce wear between
the sprockets and rollers. The Maxima chain wax doesn't seem to attract dirt
as much as the regular lubes. It stays pretty clean without brushing with
solvent. I learned all of this riding and racing dirtbikes and reading the
many dirt magazines. My ST is a heck of a lot easier to maintain. One pinch
bolt to loosen and a spanner to turn the adjuster. Easy!
Ciao,
Bob ('99 ST)
P.S. The only real problems I have found with this bike is 1# clevis on rear
brake linkage fell off somewhere one day (replaced with parts from the
hardware store). #2 rear brakes went away in 5000 miles (replaced with EBC
FA135R metal pads). #3 fuel sender is some kind of cruel prank (trip meter
is more reliable indicator). #4 It seems to dislike ethanol oxygenated (but
they have a lot of corn up here, so they pump it year round) fuels in hot
weather. It does keep the fuel system clean, though.

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------