Re: st-digest V2000 #371

In a message dated 7/25/00 9:58:24 AM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< that portion of the manual 10 times and it does not explain HOW exactly I
am
to measure the distance of chain slack.  I think I can figure out how to
Tighten and Loosen the chain.  What I don't understand is Where I am
supposed to look for chain slack.  I know atleast I am supposed to rotate
the tire and look for the tight spot.  I did that and can't find a "tight
spot".

Can someone try and walk a TOTALLY IGNORANT newbie through this process?

Also, thanks for the advise on my last postings.  It is amazing how helpful
this group is. >>

My unorthodox method is as follows: Put the bike up on the center stand. Push
up on the loose bottom run of the chain-if you can make it touch the swing
arm, it is too loose. You can then rotate the rear wheel with one hand and
test the looseness of the chain with the other-if you come to a place where
the chain seems less loose, that is the tight spot.
If the chain is loose, take it to your dealer, and watch them adjust it. You
will see that it is not that easy, even though they have a nice one piece
wrench to loosen the big nut that holds the adjustment tight-you have a two
piece wrench in your tool kit that it much less convenient to use.
If you decide to do it yourself, just tighten it until the chain, at the
tight spot, will not touch the swingarm-that will be very close to being on
spec. Dave Collins, San Diego (Fire extinguisher at the ready)