ST miileage

I live in Vancouver, BC, and just got back from a 2-week solo trip to
Edmonton, Alberta, and back.  For those of you who can relate, I rode to
Kamloops via the Coquihalla Hwy, and then took the Yellowhead Hwy to
Edmonton.  For the return trip I travelled due south from Edmonton, to Red
Deer, and then turned west to Banff National Park, south to Lake Louise, and
then on to Vernon, BC, to visit another friend.  From there I travelled
south through the Okanagan Valley, and returned to Vancouver via the
Hope-Princeton Hwy.

For the trip up to Edmonton, I averaged just under 59 MPG, with a high of 63
and a low of 55.  On the return trip (more downhill) I averaged almost 63
MPG, with a high of just under 66 and a low of 60.  Overall, this works out
to just over 60 MPG.  Note that these are Imperial gallons.  I thought that
was pretty impressive, especially considering that I travelled
'considerably' faster than the posted speed llimits most of the time ;>).

The bike ran flawlessly, but now that I'm back I've noticed that the bike
runs a bit 'chunky' at idle and slow speeds.  I guess I need to get the FI
tweaked a bit.

One other thing.  I had about 3500 km on the bike when I started, and when I
reached Edmonton I noticed that the oil level, which was right at the full
mark in the sightglass when I left, was approaching the minimum mark.  That
concerned me a bit.  I topped it up, and when I reached home, the level had
only dropped slightly below the full mark.  I'm hoping that this doesn't
represent a problem, and am assuming for the moment that maybe rings or
valves needed a few more miles to seat properly.

Neil Lindsey
'99 Black ST