(GenMar) bar risers

Hi STlisters,
Having tried Neil Andersons 'orient express' (99 ST) with the GenMar risers I am in the market for a set.  Neil pointed out that the left-hand bar hit the fairing/screen on full right lock.  Being 'vertically challenged' (1.70m, 5'7") I dont really need a taller screen, but the German "TuV" (road certification) apparently specifies that the bars must not be impeded i.e. contact the fairing lock-to-lock.
The obvious solution, we decided was to have risers that are 1" rather than 11/4" tall.
Faced with the prospect of paying 150 euro (from GenMar+P&P) or 203 euro (from JL) for bar risers that a) dont fit and b) are illegal in Germany, I was thinking it would be a lot easier and cheaper to make my own!  I am not  convinced that these prices are  reasonable for what amounts to two small blocks of aluminium with a couple of holes drilled in them, and two cylinder sleeves, although I do appreciate the arguments of low volume, hand-made accessories and design time (I design/fly satellites for a living and we would charge at least 10x this price!).
a) Would a 1" riser be low enough to use the stock brake cyl/pipe?
b) has anyone else tried to make their own?

cheers
Jonathan
ps. if I get caught with fitments that are not 'TuV' approved there are dire consequences: instant fine, bike confiscation, invalid insurance (another fine) and liability if involved in an accident. This of course applies also to tyres (brand, size) and exhausts.