From: Jonathan Schulster <Schulster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 4:05 PM
Subject: (GenMar) bar risers

> Hi STlisters,
> Having tried Neil Andersons 'orient express' (99 ST) with the GenMar
risers I am in the market for a set.  Neil pointed out that the left-hand
bar hit the fairing/screen on full right lock.  Being 'vertically
challenged' (1.70m, 5'7") I dont really need a taller screen, but the German
"TuV" (road certification) apparently specifies that the bars must not be
impeded i.e. contact the fairing lock-to-lock.
> The obvious solution, we decided was to have risers that are 1" rather
than 11/4" tall.
> Faced with the prospect of paying 150 euro (from GenMar+P&P) or 203 euro
(from JL) for bar risers that a) dont fit and b) are illegal in Germany, I
was thinking it would be a lot easier and cheaper to make my own!  I am not
convinced that these prices are  reasonable for what amounts to two small
blocks of aluminium with a couple of holes drilled in them, and two cylinder
sleeves, although I do appreciate the arguments of low volume, hand-made
accessories and design time (I design/fly satellites for a living and we
would charge at least 10x this price!).
> a) Would a 1" riser be low enough to use the stock brake cyl/pipe?
> b) has anyone else tried to make their own?
>
> cheers
> Jonathan
> ps. if I get caught with fitments that are not 'TuV' approved there are
dire consequences: instant fine, bike confiscation, invalid insurance
(another fine) and liability if involved in an accident. This of course
applies also to tyres (brand, size) and exhausts.

*

End of st-digest V2000 #382