Imploded battery

Hey all,
	I guess I have to announce the first problem I've experienced w/ my Y2K
ST: a dead battery. Here's the long-winded story: I had already left for
California by the time the motorcycle movers showed up in Virginia to
transport my bike, so my Harley-riding buddy Owen got the pleasure of
moving my bike out of the parking garage and to the loading dock where
the movers were parked. This is a three-story garage; my parking spot
was on the middle floor, and the loading dock was on the bottom floor. I
had already drained most of the gas out of the bike, but thought I left
enough in to get out of the garage on its own power.
	Owen managed to get it started after quite a bit of cranking, but then
killed it by putting the sidestand down with the tranny in first gear.
My ST wouldn't start again, despite Owen's feverish attempts. So, Owen
got to think of quite a few choice words for me as he pushed my bike the
rest of the way! However, he got the bike safely out to the truck with
nary a scratch.
	Fast forward ten days and 3,000 miles to Mountain View, CA --
California BMW Triumph, to be exact. The movers drop off the bike and
the dealership calls to let me know that it's finally arrived. Cool!
Leave work, drive over, buy a Triumph hat to wear at MI:2 later that
night. The dealer puts a gallon of gas in it and I hop on, eager to end
the seven week riding drought brought on by a broken collarbone and
moving. Turn the key.

	No fuel pump sound.

	No lights.

	Nothing.

	Damn!

Grab the service tech, Rick, who checks the voltage and shows me a
meager 5.5V. He declares it dead, but strains of Monty Python run
through my head ("I'm not quite dead yet.") and I ask him to stick it on
a charger for a while. Forty minutes later, Rick asks me to come take a
look at my battery. Although cool to the touch, the narrow sides have
been sucked inwards nearly an inch!
	Everyone in the shop looked at it in amazement and awe, and I had to
join them in expressing some wonder myself. I've seen charged batteries
expand, even explode, but never implode. I'd been considering getting
one of the trick dry-cell batteries that Rider Wearhouse sells, but I
couldn't stand the thought of not riding away that day, so I plunked
down my $75 for a brand new, genuine Triumph OEM battery.
	I guess maybe I'll get the chance to try that dry-cell battery in
another eight months... :-)
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA