Finally!

Fellow Sprint'ers,

It's been 5 months since I placed an order for a blue '00 ST [1].  5 months
of reading the messages on this list about great rides, how much fun the
ST/RS is, yada yada yada.  My poor keyboard delete key has endured many
hard clicks, and even a few not-so-gentle poundings as I read the stories
of new motorcycle arrivals, placed gently on the doorstep by the Triumph stork.

But, the day is finally here.  I'm picking up a brand-spanking-new blue '00
ST tomorrow morning.  The catch is that I'm getting it from a dealer 280
miles away (I live north of Denver, CO, and I'm picking it up in Grand
Junction, near the Utah border).  At least its maiden voyage will be a nice
ride through the Rockies (with new tires, it'll be a leisurely ride).

On a side note, thanks to Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers, who pointed me in the
direction of the Sprint ST last fall, when I was inquiring on
rec.motorcycles about which new bike to buy.  Up to that point, I hadn't
even thought about a Triumph.

On to the Q's:  Before the ride tomorrow, I have a couple quick questions:

I've read several messages about allowing the engine to cool down
periodically during the first hundred miles or so.  Since I'll be riding
the 280 miles home, what interval do you recommend for stopping and letting
the engine cool down?  And, is there anything else I should watch for,
besides small/large animals and SUV's ;^) [2] on that long of a "break-in"
ride?

I'm not counting on a functional fuel gauge, so how many miles can I expect
to travel on a full tank of gas (I'm guessing around 200)?  And, should I
fill it with premium?

Thanks, and I look forward to lots of fun on the new ST, good insights on
this list, and no dead batteries or gas puddles in the garage (knock on wood).

Dan
Blue '00 ST (in case you weren't paying attention)
Longmont, CO

[1] As a follow up to a message I posted a while back about the
availability of different bike colors, I didn't find out too much in the
way of statistics, but talked to someone at Triumph Motorcycles America
yesterday, who told me that they have 45 blue '00 ST's on backorder, and
that the 2001 models will be available in July.

[2] SWMBO will be following me home (or, attempting to do so) in our SUV,
while talking on the phone, doing her nails, reading a book, and weaving
from lane to lane, so I know to watch for that one!