English Trip comments. (Longish)

     Just got back from a trip to visit friends in England and Wales last
     week. Since we were specifically traveling to visit people we only
     covered 1200miles in the week but it's the first time I've used the
     bike in touring rather than sports mode. Laden up with the hard
     panniers, 45L Givi topbox and Bagster tank bag I was impressed with
     how well the bike handled. The handling was very light at the front
     end when fully loaded but I suspect that some fine tuning of the rear
     preload would have helped here. I found the bike to be extremely
     comfortable at any speed but Fiona complained of Turbulance at
     anything over 80MPH. Next time I'll try the higher screen to see it
     this helps pillion comfort.

     Bagster: This is by far the best tank bag I've ever tried. The harness
     completely protects the tank, looks good, and holds the bag securely.
     The bag detatches in seconds and pivots forward to allow for
     refuelling. I used the bag for my camera, lock and map and nothing got
     wet at anytime. I count this as money very well spent.

     Chain life: I now have a little over 6000miles on the original chain
     and it has developed a really bad tight spot and will require
     replacement. Up until now the chain has required slight adjustment
     only about every 1000miles, probably due to the chaintec oiler. Two
     track days and the two up with luggage abuse seem to have been too
     much for it however. A DID X-Ring chain and Renthal sprockets will be
     ordered this week.

     Tennis shoes: I'm hoping this was a joke (Yes?) On my journey back up
     through England (M5 Exeter to Birmingham) we were sitting at 90MPH in
     the outside lane when we were hit by a large piece of debris. It
     appeared to be one of those extended mirror brackets fitted to cars
     while towing caravans (Triangular, three legged, 2ft long). It had
     been lying in the road and was thrown up by a vehicle in front. I
     estimate the impact speed was well in excess of 100MPH. One of the
     legs hit my left boot around the big toe hard enough to completely
     numb the foot, it then bounced back and hit the chainguard before
     dissappearing behind. Two layers of the leather of my Dianese boots
     were penetrated by the impact but the reinforcement probably saved my
     foot. I sufferd no more than a really bad bruising but it was nearly
     two hours before I could feel my foot. Top marks to Dianese, The boots
     were still 100% waterproof through the drenching we recieved during
     the last 200miles of our journey AND I still have my toe attached!

     Fuel economy: I'm astounded! I have the TBR performance pipe, K&N
     filter and Triumph performance tune loaded. The worst fuel consumption
     I recieved was 45MPG, the best was 58MPG and the average was 52MPG.
     Milage consisted of a mixture of Fast two up Motorway cruising, Fast
     one up backroads and some city and town driving. With the prices being
     charged for fuel in England I was glad not to be on my old 25MPG TL.

     TBR: One of the springs holding the slip on to the connector pipe
     broke somewhere between Abergavany(sp?) and Weymouth. On my return
     home my dealer produced a different design of spring which seems to
     have a second coil beneath the main spring coil and which has
     swiveling hooks. For Harl or anyone else with the TBR pipe These new
     springs have completely eliminated all the movement we have been
     experiencing with the end can. They cost IR£2.50 each.

     Saddle: The stock saddle covering has started to split on both sides
     at the rear, just behind the cutouts for the carrier/ grab handle.
     Does anyone know if cosmetics such as this are covered under warranty?
     Anyone else had this problem?

     Mad Belgians: I met up with Marc DeVries and his buddy Bart (Who
     drives a wonderful sounding Mille) in Exeter. When I left them they
     had just overtaken a police cruiser on double solid whites into
     oncoming traffic and were being followed closely as I took off for the
     Cat and Fiddle for a quick Blat along the coast. Completely bonkers
     guys but top bannanas both :) Hope you didn't get pulled.

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software