Re: Throttle response during downshifts

Neil Lindsey wrote:

> Quite often when I apply a quick shot of throttle to bring up engine rpm to
> match the transmission during downshifting NOTHING happens.

I can't say as I've noticed this problem with my Y2K ST. In fact, I'd
have to say that my ST has the most consistent throttle response of any
motorcycle I've ridden. (Not that I've ridden a lot of different bikes,
but still... :-)

> The Triumph mechanic at my dealer says he's noticed this problem with 'all'
> ST's that he's worked on. [...] At one
> point he commented that 'it's a Triumph', which I didn't appreciate, and
> compared the Triumph FI unfavourably to that found on Hondas.  He says Honda
> FI is way less complicated and works much better.  Is this true?

Although you are asking the "Triumph crowd," I say you're mechanic's
full of BS. My biased memory seems to recall quite a few negative
comments in the press about the abruptness of Honda's FI; when the ST
came out, most of those same journalists said that Triumph got it spot
on -- and much better than Honda. The Sagem unit might be more
complicated, but then again, maybe it's not such a simple problem to
solve.

My hunch is that your mechanic is out of ideas and doesn't want to spend
any more time dorking around with it.

> Is there a possibility that this might be fixed by downloading a more recent
> FI tune?

I'd give it a shot first, just so that you can eliminate that
possibility.

Good luck!
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>