Re: Throttle respone on downshifting

Don't you mean too much slack?  Garry Bird suggests a workaround that
involves holding the throttle open slightly during downshifts thus avoiding
the problem that apparently involves the stepper motor/idling circuit.  I
haven't had an opportunity to test this out yet.

I assume that too little slack in the throttle control would have the same
effect.  Having too much slack would account for 'nothing happening' when
you snap the throttle open during a downshift.  In any event, my throttle is
adjusted just fine as far as I can tell, and I'm sure my mechanic would have
checked that also.  However, as I mentioned earlier, he suggests that all
STs do it, but I don't think he's worked on too many '00 STs yet (or at
least checked them for this symptom).  Also the fact that the ECU and
steppers were changed for '00 may also provide a significant clue.

I hope someone comes up with a fix, but I'm tending to agree with several
comments that it might be inherent to the FI system on '99s.  If you haven't
experienced the problem, count yourself lucky.  I have a feeling that the
problem lurking, but that you just haven't hit the right combination of
conditions to witness it.  I wouldn't even be surprised if if turns out that
my riding style has something to do with it.  But if I've only noticed it on
this bike, so I'm having trouble accepting that riding style explains it all
either.

If it turns out to be something really simple, I'll be really happy.  I just
wish that more people with both '99 and '00 STs would provide some input to
this discussion.

Neil