RE: Riding Gear 4 Rob P.

Recommendation and opinion...

Have ridden in everything from June desert to NorCal fog-rain, to NJ winters
in my Hein Gericke "Dakar".  Bought it in 1986.
It has a zip out thermoliner and underarm vents.  With the liner out, the
vents open and the heavy duty dual zipper up and down respectively a touch -
one can ride in DC summers OK but I would not recommend a traffic jam!  With
the liner in and all buttoned up 15deg F is not a problem with a windscreen
and a sweatshirt.

This is a long-tailed/cut coat, not a "jacket". Over the butt.  100%
leather - It is HEAVY.  If you can find one (I heard rumors that they
re-released it but check to see if it is as well constructed as the
original.)I HIGHLY recommend it.

For a fact.  This jacket saved my life.  I would have been skin-less over a
huge percent of my bod if not for the Dakar.  I slid/rolled for a great
distance - from 75mph. It did not even wear through and even successfully
protected my rear-end! A trip to the leather shop for a dye job and you
would never know what it went through.

Take it from an ex-GP racer - synthetics are cool but leather will save your
ass.  It ain't the initial hit - rather the long, fast grind and God forbid,
the sudden stop.

Most people don't think too much about it but: We buy Snell helmets... they
are a little less comfortable than mere DOT rated but they will take the BIG
HIT.  Same with the other gear.  Depends on how you ride and the level of
protection.  Some folks wear full leathers on the street - squids wear
shorts and sandals.

Also how badly your family needs your income.
Road rash may not kill you but it might make you _wish_ you were dead.

End of st-digest V2000 #279