new tune, he didn't seem to be aware of anything recent, and could only =
offer the latest that was loaded in his Gameboy (there were 3 to choose =
from, only one being appropriate for my stock ST).  My bike had only =
ever had the original tune that I got it with, although when I first got =
he bike I noticed that the original sticker (tune #9840) on the ECU had =
been covered by a second sticker (tune # 9846).  Until yesterday my =
dealer hadn't updated it at any time, so I can only assume that the =
update was done by the factory.  The only 'new' tune he could offer was =
#9888, but I do not know if this is actually the latest tune.  Does =
anyone know?

Also, I understand that you lose the old tune when a new tune is =
downloaded, but other posts have suggested that the dealer should have a =
number of tunes onhand, and that you should be able to revert to an =
older tune (even the same one as before) if a new tune doesn't work out. =
  That didn't seem to be the case for this dealer.  Any comments?  I =
would have assumed that the older tunes would exist on a disk somewhere. =
  Maybe the older tunes have to be re-acquired from Triumph and they =
don't want to bother???  What's the scoop?

Lastly, I read today on the T5 list that the engine must be within a =
certain temperature range (85-90 deg C) or the download may not work =
properly (wasn't too clear on whether this means that the download can't =
be done at all or whether it results in a bad download -- there is a =
difference).  Another note seems to suggest that the Gameboy monitors =
the engine temp, thus avoiding this problem if the engine is not within =
the correct temperature range by refusing to do the download.  All I can =
say (and I haven't spoken to the mechanic again yet) is that my bike had =
been sitting for about 1/2 to 1 hour before he did the download (only by =
coincidence I might add) and that there was no mention of this criteria =
while I stood and watched him use the Gameboy.  So is there a chance =
that the download needs to be re-done, or did the Gameboy take care of =
it?

I probably shouldn't have mentioned this, but I commented to the =
mechanic that there are a number of listers that seem adament that they =
DON'T have the 'throttle response' problem and that it should therefore =
be fixable, and he re-iterated not only that he's seen it on every ST, =
but that Honda's FI is much better (bear in mind that this dealer is =
primarily a Honda dealer).

The mechanic did reset my throttle 'zero' setting using the Gameboy too, =
so it isn't like he's not trying at all.  I suppose I could have asked =
him to check the CO setting (in fact maybe he did), but I'm not sure if =
he's using te latest recommendation for that setting either (hence my =
other post asking for that info).  He certainly didn't use any exhaust =
gas analyzer.  I figure I should lay off for a bit until I push this =
whole 'throttle response' issue to the next level.

BTW, the new tune DID NOT cure the 'throotle response during downshift' =
problem (not that I really thought it would based on the responses to my =
performance improvement on my ride home!

It has become abundantly clear that my dealer will not do anything =
proactively when it comes to recalls/warranty work.  This applied to the =
fuel sender problem (which didn't work from the day I picked up the bike =
and which I had to point out), the crankcase bolt problem, the ignition =
cable/tie wrap problem, and the version of FI tune that was loaded when =
I got the bike.  That's too bad cause I fear that it is really going to =
affect our working relationship . . . . oh, oh here comes that whiner =
again armed with misinformation from the Internet!

Sorry for the length of this post
Neil