Re: Brembo front master cylinder

>I'm curious as to what you did here and how it works to improve the feel.
>Did you simply replace the plastic resovoir near the lever or something
else?
> What makes this improve the firmness?  In any case, if it works I'm
>interested in the specifics; cost, part numbers, and the procedure.  Please
>keep me informed.
>
>Rick Paukert
>Horn Dawg
>Houston

I wish it was as simple as replacing the plastic reservoir!!!  I replaced
the whole brake lever/master cylinder/brake reservoir assembly with Brembo
components.  There are two main benefits of the Brembo master cylinder...it
has a larger diameter piston than the stock Triumph master cylinder.
Basically, it attempts to push more fluid down the brake hose.  Also, the
Brembo master cylinder has bleeder valve like most brake calipers which
makes it easier to get all of the air out.

Someone asked me of the specific piston diameter and I don't remember...and
I can't find it in the flurry of emails I had with Frenotec (a Brembo
distributor) and Brembo USA.

Replacing the master cylinder itself is simple enough, it just bolts on,
then you have to bleed everything which is a bit of a pain.  The electrical
connectors for the brake light were different, so I cut off both ends and
put on some easy disconnect things I bought at Napa...my ST1100 has
billions of them for various custom wiring.

The cost of the master cylinder, reservoir, and mounting kit was just under
$200.  Also needed a banjo bolt with a 1.0 thread pitch because the stock
Triumph one is 1.25.  I might have that backwards, but the two were different.

I'm very happy with the results, more consistent brake lever effort, but
now I want more braking power!

- -Stephen

seh750@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netcom.com/~seh750/home.htm