RE: pressurized fuel tanks

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of don
draper
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 11:14 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: pressurized fuel tanks

 In addition to some relief valves being installed upside down
(particularay on RS's) the rubber tube has been known to deform in
the heat and prevent the ball valve from opening, pressurizing the
tank. Replacment with a clear tube seems to solve the problem.

*

I sent the following letter to Triumph after the incorrect installation of
the pressure release valve on my 2000 ST caused the fuel tank to split.  So
far I have heard nothing in response from either dealer or Triumph.  I
invite your comments and responses and apologize in advance for the length
of the post.

Tim Wallace
2000 Sprint ST
2000 Speed Triple
*************

June 10, 2000

Triumph Motorcycles America Ltd.
403 Dividend Drive.
Peachtree City, Georgia
30269
USA

On May 2 of this year, I purchased a new Triumph Sprint ST, Serial Number
SMT600FM9YJ090535 from Apex Sports in Colorado Springs.  It is a beautiful
bike, but unfortunately I have been plagued from the beginning by a problem
with the fuel tank that could potentially have cost me my life or serious
property damage.

On the first day that I owned the bike, I rode for a few miles with a friend
who owns a Kawasaki sports touring bike and we stopped for fuel.  When I
opened the tank, I was sprayed with gasoline from the tank.   I wrote it off
to opening the tank too quickly.  However, as time progressed and I gained
more experience with the bike, I began to notice that the problem did not
dissipate ? there seemed to be an inordinate amount of pressure coming from
the tank every time I opened it.

 On June 7, I took the bike in for first service to Apex Sports.  I reported
the fuel pressure problem as well as a problem I was having with the neutral
indicator.  When I picked up the bike, there was no mention of the fuel
pressure problem and the dealer informed me that they did not have a neutral
indicator in the shop and would have to order one.  As near as I can tell,
what I got for the $137.04 charge was an oil and filter change.

On the trip back to Denver, it was an extremely hot day.  I stopped for fuel
when I arrived in town.  I rode the bike on several errands around town
before bringing it back to my house and putting it in the garage.  About two
hours later, I went out to the garage and was horrified to find a gush of
gasoline all over my garage.  I got the bike out of there and cleaned up the
garage, which took several hours.  I noticed the bike was still spilling
gas, so I opened the tank.  The fuel loss dissipated but did not subside.

The following day, I took the bike into Fay Myers Motorcycles, which is much
closer to my home than Apex and reported the problem.  That evening, I
received a call from the service department telling me that indeed the
pressure problem had caused the fuel tank to split.  Later, I spoke to ?JD?,
the service department manager, who told me that the situation had been
caused by the incorrect installation (backwards) of the pressure release
valve that is supposed to take care of the problem.  I was informed that the
soonest I could expect a tank to come in from Triumph would be 10-14 days.

There are several disturbing aspects to this incident, one of which is that
this has been a known problem on Triumph motorcycles going back two years
now according to postings on several internet newsgroups by Triumph
enthusiasts.  One would think a problem of this nature could be easily
remedied.  Secondly, one would also think that once reported (as I did in
the first service at Apex), that again a remedy could be easily applied.
Instead, it was ignored.

What I would like from Triumph are the following:

1.	Replacement of the tank as quickly as possible under the warranty on the
bike (preferably faster than 10-14 days)
2.	Immediate correction of the pressure release valve problem.
3.	A proper ?first service? that would include valve adjustment, chain
adjustment, any needed brake/clutch adjustments, etc. and not just an oil
change as I am quite able to do that one myself.
4.	Correction of the neutral switch problem, which is a nagging annoyance
since the bike won?t run with the kickstand down.
5.	Reloading of the proper tune program for the after market silencer (from
Triumph) that I installed on the bike and had Twin Peaks Power Sports tune.
I believe the original program was mistakenly reloaded during the first
service.
6.	Adjustment of the warranty period to account for the time I am without
the bike.

The bike is currently housed in the repair shop at Fay Myers Motorcycles
awaiting the arrival of the replacement fuel tank.  I have enclosed copies
of all relevant receipts.  Your assistance in this matter would be greatly
appreciated.  Should you need to contact me, here are several points of
contact:

Home phone: 303-871-9501
Cell phone: 720-934-3644
Email: twallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or