Re: How to deal with tolls?

At 07:18 AM 6/23/00 -0400, The Flowers wrote:
>I have to ride a number of hours tonight, and the best route involves a toll
>road.  Has anyone come up with a good way to carry $$$ to pay for tolls?  I
>One option is to take the longer, slower, non-toll route I guess.  But I'd
>like to get there in time to have dinner with my family.
>
>Eric, you probably have an opinion on the route.  I have to ride from
>Clearwater to Titusville.  Should I take I-4 to 528 (toll) or I-4 to 50
>(not)?

Wow - I did that one myself yesterday (actually spent the day in Seminole)
- - I would quit if I had to deal with Tampa traffic every day....

For the Route, the quickest is I4 to 417 (Greenway - toll) to 528. Tolls
will be less if you go I4 to 528 though. I4 to 50 would take you through
Orlando on a Friday afternoon which sometimes can be a real mess. Better
off to not go that way.

As for the tolls, on my old Sprint I had a money changer (belt type) that I
mounted on my bars - when I hit the toll, I would just click the lever for
the appropriate number of quarters. But with modern technology came the
Epass - I have one on the truck and a second that I hand carry for the
bike. With it you can just ride through the epass lane, never having to
stop. They are joining SunPass between July and December, so by the end of
the year if you get a SunPass unit, it will work on any toll road in Florida.

What's taking you to Titusville  ? Going to be there for a while ?

- - Eric