Re: How to deal with tolls?

Previously, you (Eric Sheley) wrote:
> Wow - I did that one myself yesterday (actually spent the day in Seminole)
> - I would quit if I had to deal with Tampa traffic every day....

Me too, but this is a one-time thing for personal reasons, not work.

> For the Route, the quickest is I4 to 417 (Greenway - toll) to 528. Tolls
> will be less if you go I4 to 528 though. I4 to 50 would take you through
> Orlando on a Friday afternoon which sometimes can be a real mess. Better
> off to not go that way.

It'll be 7PM by the time I hit Orlando I expect.  I was thinking the
worst would (maybe) be over by then.  Just getting out of Tampa will be
fun, what with Malfunction Junction (I-4/I-275 interchange).

What is the toll fee along there? Should I just tuck some $1's in my
jacket pocket?

> As for the tolls, on my old Sprint I had a money changer (belt type) that I
> mounted on my bars - when I hit the toll, I would just click the lever for
> the appropriate number of quarters.

Nice idea, but I can't think of anyplace to mount on the ST.  Well,
there's always my belt -- hmmm, I wonder where I could buy one of those
antiques.

> But with modern technology came the
> Epass - I have one on the truck and a second that I hand carry for the
> bike. With it you can just ride through the epass lane, never having to
> stop. They are joining SunPass between July and December, so by the end of
> the year if you get a SunPass unit, it will work on any toll road in Florida.

If this was a frequent occurance I'd do it, but I hit a toll once every
couple of months normally.  Not often enough for me to even develop a
routine.

> What's taking you to Titusville  ? Going to be there for a while ?

Family is visiting from Europe.  SWMBO and kids are taking him to
Seaworld, Orlando today (should be well on their way by now) then
staying near Titusville tonight.  I ride over to meet them tonight.
Tomorrow we do Kennedy S.C. then I ride back.  If the conditions are
good our guest (he's 23) will ride pillion with me back to Clearwater,
at least part of the way.

As much as we need rain, I hope it doesn't.  At least not while I'm
riding.

Next Friday morning I ride 250 miles to Fort Lauderdale and return
Saturday.  Its a straight shot down (then across) I-75 for me.  More
tolls again.  :-(

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL