Broken down ST - update

Hi all,

    Well, The Lardmeister is now sitting in my garage with all the
bodywork off.

    I think it has a broken wire between the starter relay and the
starter solenoid.  The starter button energises a relay in the right
hand side of the nosecone, the bottom one of the three there.  This
relay is working just fine and that's what I could hear clicking when
I was pushing the starter button yesterday.  What I couldn't hear
outside next to a busy road was that the fuel pump pressurises the
system just fine - mine always has been a quiet one ;-)

    The starter solenoid has power, as a careful check with a
multimeter, followed by an unplanned incident with a spanner, proved
=8-O

    I took the starter relay off the bike to test it and following
some experimentation and head-scratching it seems to be working.  What
confuses me is that it seems to be breaking a circuit rather than
making one (unless I'm getting tired - I'll check again in the
morning).  I plugged the relay back in and tried the starter just for
kicks - it worked!  I marvelled at the running wonder for a few
seconds before shutting it down.  Another look at the relay and it
wouldn't start again :-(

    So my best guess is that one of the wires from the starter relay
(in the nosecone) to the starter solenoid (beside the battery
compartment) is broken somewhere.  My best guess for where it's broken
is where the wiring loom flexes around the headstock.

    One thing which rather alarms me is that the wiring loom is split
in two around the headstock and both sides look like they get trapped
between the top yoke pinch bolts and the front fairing subframe on
full lock!  If this turns out to be the cause of my problem I'll be
taking it up with Triumph.

    If anyone could tell me what wiring leads away from the starter
relay I'd be most grateful!  As you will all know, there's no wiring
diagram with the owner's manual :-(

    Thanks,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_               I don't have the time or the fridge
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Richard Moore