heat

Rode to El Centro (Altitude sea level, but 110 miles east of the beach, and
just north of the Mexican border-average summer daytime temps in the 110F
range). The day I went, it was relatively cool-only 102F, but warm enough to
give the belly-pan-off mode a good test. It worked very well at 85 mph. The
undersides of my thighs-previously heated to the point of excruciating pain
last year in the San Fernando Valley in similar ambient temps, were no warmer
than the rest of me. I was wearing deerskin pants, with lightweight trousers
underneath, so was well insulated, as I had been last year. With the pan off,
the exhaust manifold is exposed, and I think that is where the hot air came
from, as it seemed too hot for air that had  been heated just by the
radiator. I am wondering if cutting out all the plastic from the nose piece
(which is part of the main fairing assembly), and reinstalling the pan, would
let enough air in to cool off the exhaust manifold, and dilute the temp of
the air that is forced upwards. I saw an older Ducati 748 that is like
that-the nose completely open. The Triumph 955i also has a big opening there,
but it is filled by the oil cooler, and I hear the 955i is also quite hot. I
think I will take my sabre saw to it, although the bike doesn't look bad with
the belly pan off. Has anyone else done any radical cooling surgery to their
plastic? Dave Collins, San Diego

PS On another topic, I just took a good look at my beautiful easy-to-read
white face  tachometer dial, which I thought was entitled MIN to the 4th
power X1000, which I never understood. With my bifocals on, however, I see
that it says MIN to the -1 (minus one) X 1000, a rather elegant way of
expressing /Min, or RPM, as all other tachos I can remember put it. I like
it, as it means Triumph expects us to have at least a rudimentary
mathemetical education to fully understand their bike. Is this common on
modern tachometers, or is it a srictly Triumph thing? (Or is it
Japanese-where the clocks come from?) DC