Re: Bill's ride - (was Re: How to deal with tolls?)

Previously, you (Eric Sheley) wrote:
> At 06:51 PM 6/25/00 -0400, The Flowers wrote:
> >For 2.5 hours I rode through rain, rain, rain.  It didn't help that at a
> >couple of critical interchanges I couldn't see well enough despite frequent
> >swipes with a V-wipe (rubber squeegee thingie on my thumb, like a manual
> >windshield wiper) that I took the wrong turn and had to go miles out of my
> >way!
>
> Been there - done that. Were you wearing glasses ? I've found that use an
> amber lens really helps in the rain.

I left my amber lenses sitting on my nighttable at home.  Didn't even
think of them.  I'm going to move them permanently to my bike's tail
box.

> Sorry about that - I didn't get your request on the amount until I got back
> to the office Friday night. I've gotten rid of several pairs of gloves
> because they never seem to stop bleeding. I don't mind it one or two times,
> but after they have been wet 5 or 6 times, I don't feel that you should
> still be getting black hands.

I don't know that any gloves would stand up to what I put these through
on Friday.  I like the suggestion that Rider Wearhouse has of pulling
some over-sized rubber gloves on over the leather.  I'll try it next
time.  With my luck that will be this Friday and/or Saturday!

> Time for new boots.

Definately!

> That's one thing I really like about the collett - fully weather sealed.
> I've come through monsoon downpours without a drop. Steve Mate, who has my
> old Sprint, just went on a trip and had a cb installed. Worked great until
> it got wet - it stayed on all night and drained his battery....

Being fresh water I can't imagine it would have too much effect on the
circuits.  Now that it's dry I'll make sure it is fully charged and try
again.  Maybe open up the case and apply WD-40 to the on/off-volume
switch, etc.

> >I'm thinking of this as a shakedown cruise, getting ready for the Rallye.
>
> Hopefully there will be a lot less rain at the rallye.

I sure hope so too.  But if not, I'll be ready for it.

> I really like my BMW boots - I think Steve "Dirty Dawg" uses the same ones.
> Gortex lined - nice strong velcro over the zipper. I've done many wet miles
> and have only been damp a few times. Of course, if you don't ride in
> leathers of leave your pants tucked in your boots, all bets are off...

What do those boots cost?

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL